I adore travel writing – it defined my father who is pictured here with me in the summer of 1965.
The beach is probably Norfolk, in the picture I feel safe.
The list below is for my Dad.
- On the Road by Jack Kerouac
- As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee
- Naples ’44 by Norman Lewis
- Coasting by Jonathan Raban
- Travels with Charley by John Steinbeck
- Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson
- Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
- The Beach by Alex Garland
- The Great Railway Bazaar by Paul Theroux
- The Road to Oxiana by Robert Byron
- Venice by Jan Morris
- In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin
- The Sun also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
- Wild Coast by Jonathan Gimlette
- A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush by Eric Newby
- Arabian Sands by Wilfred Thesinger
- Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S Thompson
- Our Man in Havanna by Graham Greene
- The Journals of Captain Cook by James Cook
- Among the Russians by Colin Thubron