Delicious Keto Meat Pie – a cheese topped masterpiece!
The secrets out! I love meat pie (and books) and this one is even better being keto friendly and smothered in cheese 😉 I ate mine with a lovely crisp green salad and a balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil dressing, outside on the blue-checked table cloth-covered summer dining table. .. in the sun….which if you know England well …is a novelty in the months of June and July – and guess what: the sun’s still here ! Its the summer of 1976 all over again and boy are we having fun – we forget and forget and forget all through winter how good summer feels – the brightness of the colours, the delicate light breeze in the morning, the baking earth parched beneath our feet racing through the prickly grass – seriously, summer in Yorkshire is the best!
Come on then – what’s it like where you are – is the sun shining? I’d love to hear how you are spending your summer!
And then the pie – I’d rate it easy to moderate, the fiddly bit being the pie crust – but definitely worth the fiddle because the crust was crisp and thin and crunchy which sat just right with the meat and cheese topping.
Ingredients for Meat Pie
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp butter or olive oil
- 20 oz. ground beef or ground lamb
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano or dried basil
- 4 tbsp tomato paste or ajvar relish
- ½ cup water
- 8 oz. cottage cheese
- 7 oz. shredded cheese
Method for Meat Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Fry onion and garlic in butter or olive oil over medium heat for a few minutes, until the onion is soft. Add the ground beef and keep frying. Add oregano or basil and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add tomato paste. Add water. Lower the heat and let simmer for at least 20 minutes. While the meat simmers, make the dough for the crust.
- Mix all the dough ingredients in a food processor for a few minutes until the dough turns into a ball. If you don’t have a food processor, you can mix by hand with a fork.
- Place a round piece of parchment paper in a well-greased springform pan—about 10 inches in diameter—to make it easier to remove the pie when it’s done. (You can also use a deep-dish pie pan.) Spread the dough in the pan and up along the sides. Use a spatula or well-greased fingers.
- Pre-bake the crust for 10-15 minutes. Take it out of the oven and place the meat in the crust. Mix cottage cheese and shredded cheese together, and layer on top of the pie.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes on lower rack or until the pie has turned a golden color.
- Serve with a fresh green salad and dressing.
Make, eat and enjoy – for tomorrow it may rain!
Until next time…
Recipe credit: diet doctor